The secret is that I am actually not in the states anymore… As promised, this wandering girl has gone on many an adventure and is currently finishing up a week of service slash international healthcare in the Dominican Republic. More on that later when I can transfer some pictures and share my story from Dejabon to Santo Domingo.
But for now… For now let´s reflect a bit on travel and why you know you kind of need it in your life.
Travel in undergrad, study abroad or save money and travel after you graduate… Travel as a young twenty something, travel as an adult, travel in a caravan of old farts if you want, or travel with kids … just get out there!
After all, as JRR Tolkien once said: Not all those who wander are lost :3
NOTE: These quotes are NOT Hogwarts House themed, but may they inspire you anyway!
AND SORRY NO PICTURES THIS WEEK
- “The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”–– St. Augustine
- “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one’s lifetime.” –– Mark Twain
- “One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” –– Henry Miller
- “Do we really want to travel in hermetically sealed popemobiles through the rural provinces of France, Mexico and the Far East, eating only in Hard Rock Cafes and McDonalds? Or do we want to eat without fear, tearing into the local stew, the humble taqueria’s mystery meat, the sincerely offered gift of a lightly grilled fish head? I know what I want. I want it all. I want to try everything once.” –– Anthony Bourdain
- “Every one of a hundred thousand cities around the world had its own special sunset and it was worth going there, just once, if only to see the sun go down.”–– Ryu Murakami
- “He who does not travel does not know the value of men.”––Moorish proverb
- “Traveling is a brutality. It forces you to trust strangers and to lose sight of all that familiar comfort of home and friends. You are constantly off balance. Nothing is yours except the essential things – air, sleep, dreams, the sea, the sky – all things tending towards the eternal or what we imagine of it.” ––Cesare Pavese
- “When we get out of the glass bottle of our ego and when we escape like the squirrels in the cage of our personality and get into the forest again, we shall shiver with cold and fright. But things will happen to us so that we don’t know ourselves. Cool, unlying life will rush in.” ––DH Lawrence
- “Two roads diverged in a wood and I – I took the one less traveled by.” ––Robert Frost
- “Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.” ––Maya Angelou
And just because I love, love, love this quote by Mark Twain here he is one more time
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” ––Mark Twain